Silk: The Miracle Fabric
On a hot summer day or any night, nothing is quite so cool and elegant as men's silk suits. This ancient fabric is still the height of glamour for men and women alike. Silk is something of a miracle fabric. When it is pure and organic, its soft fibers breathe and adapt to the climate so naturally that it both keeps you cool in summer and, conversely, warm in winter.
Wool is another wonderful fabric that can be cool in summer and warm in winter, depending upon the weight. However, wool does not have the soft elegance and flattering hang of silk. What many have known since the 1920s is that if you blend good wool and silk, you will have a nearly perfect suit, especially for summer.
Advantages of Silk
- Excellent drape and luster (reflection of light on fabric)
- Stain resistant
- Strong but lightweight
- As it is a breathable fabric and a natural temperature regulator, silk helps the body retain heat in cold weather and excess heat is expelled in warm weather. Therefore your body maintains a natural, comfortable temperature.
- Silk is hypoallergenic; it does not attract dust mites and is a natural fungal repellent.
- With its' extremely smooth and soft texture, silk proves to be beneficial for those with sensitive skin conditions (e.g. Eczema).
- Silk does not conduct static electricity, it reduces hair breakage whilst helping the hair to maintain proper moisture balance.